Oct 1, 2012
A Simple Methodology Sometimes Misunderstood
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) is sometimes dissected the wrong way. Too many people follow tips and tricks outlined by CRO “experts” that seem reasonable and worth the effort of testing out. For example, having a giant green banner or a contact form on the left side of a website might work for some, but that doesn’t mean it will work for you.
The guys over at SEOmoz put it simply. “Conversion rates are hugely personal to your website – what works on someone else’s website will only work on yours if you have similar objections. You’ve got to find out what’s wrong with your site – not what worked on someone else’s.”
To sum it up, effective CRO targets your individual online niche. What are people searching for related to your industry? What do they like to see, hear, read, and interact with? What do they avoid? What will they share? These are questions that need to be answered according to your unique industry.
The Most Important Rule
As a business owner, sometimes it’s difficult to understand the customer’s point of view. Seeing what they see and thinking how they think is the most important aspect of CRO in our opinion.
According to Search Engine Watch, the five keys to Conversion Rate Optimization are:
- Relevancy: Your users should find what they’re looking for when arriving at you website.
- Proposition: Your users should understand what you’re offering them upon arrival.
- Trust: Your website should radiate trust signals, including video testimonials, third-party badges, certifications, awards, etc.
- Understand User Intent: You should be familiar with your user’s role in the sales cycle and how they will react to certain messages and design styles.
- Remove Distractions: Remove anything that distracts the user form moving on to the next step of the sales cycle.
Each of these five things revolve around getting to know your consumers and how they will react to your website.
Let’s Make This Easier | (855) 238-8444
Innovation Simple’s ultimate purpose is to manage your marketing, including Conversion Rate Optimization. There are so many ways to convert and measure those conversions. The time, money, and energy you spend on figuring out how to master CRO will completely take you away from what you do best: run your business.
Let us make things easier for you. Let us manage your Conversion Rate Optimization efforts.